We had another busy weekend so not much cooking (Sigh). Friday we drove to Weatherford, Texas for an appointment, went by the farmers market (YAY) and to grab some lunch. The farmers market yielded a jar of pickled garlic which I am totally addicted to and my husband got some raw peanuts that he boiled on Sunday. We had lunch at the Vintage Grill-they have the best burgers. The restaurant doubles as a car museum which is pretty cool if you like old cars like I do. We finished off the weekend relaxing on the porch. The sunsets are becoming more colorful as the temperatures get cooler.
Last night I made a quick dinner of seared tuna steaks and a spicy squash panzanella salad. I would normally use French bread but chose a ciabatta roll instead and it turned out fine. Also, I really wanted add a tomato but there wasn’t one in the frig.
- 4 summer squash, cubed
- 1/3 cup shallots, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2 cup kale, chopped (I used frozen)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 ciabatta roll, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- olive oil
- Toss squash with olive oil and roast until tender but firm. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to large skillet and saute jalapeno, shallot and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the red pepper and kale and continue cooking until kale is wilted.
- Toss in the squash, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Remove to plate and wipe out skillet.
- Toss the bread cubes with salt and olive oil, add to skillet and cook until brown.
- When ready to eat, toss with the squash and drizzle with dressing.
For the dressing I mixed 2 T. olive oil, 1 tsp. red wine vinegar, 3 T. Dijon mustard, 1 tsp. water, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
Hope everyone has a great week. I look forward to reading what I missed over the weekend. 🙂