Interesting evening we had yesterday I tell ya. We decided to get out for a bit and partake in a couple of adult beverages to celebrate the beginning of two big projects-putting stabilizing rock down around our barn and pouring concrete to extend our back porch. Turns out we weren’t the only ones celebrating. While we were out, the dogs (Maggie to be exact) managed to take the cap off of the half-gallon of olive oil and her and Bobo apparently gulped down most of the bottle-only about two inches remained. They were both sick and made to sleep outside. In part it is our fault because we kept that particular bottle of oil on a shelf by the back door to put on their food to reduce shedding. Anyway, the living room floor had greasy paw prints all over-big job cleaning that up. Being curious of their fate I did some reading about dogs and olive oil. All signs point to them spending the night outdoors again. Seems olive oil works as a cleanse. Perfect!!
THEN-this morning when I went into the closet to get dressed I find that the air conditioner is draining water onto the floor. Good news though-repair person was here this afternoon and it was a minor fix. Yay!!
I did a quick check on my little garden and it is doing great. The wind has been ferocious and the snow peas were bent but being they have already grabbed onto the wire they weren’t broken. Whew!!
How did I cope….by cooking a big pot of stew. Not really a summer meal but good way to use up all the stray vegetables in the frig. Also, I was dying to make more smoked rice. I totally LOVE, LOVE this rice. It’s so light, fluffy and the smoky flavor is spot on. We had the stew for lunch AND dinner. For lunch I added extra cilantro and some oyster crackers and for dinner I made the rice and added extra cilantro of course.
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cubed
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 pound whole red new potatoes, peeled
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 purple onion, sliced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 4 small dried red chilies, crushed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pink Himilayan Salt (to taste)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Shredded cheese (optional-I used chipotle cheddar)
- Basmati Smoked Rice
How I did it:
- Place the beef in a brine overnight(1 cup water/1 Tablespoon salt/1 teaspoon red wine vinegar) Drain. Normally I only do this with pork but it helps tenderize beef as well.
- Cook the bacon in large skillet-remove, reserve and leave grease in skillet.
- Pan sear the beef and transfer to large stew pot.
- Add all other ingredients except the green peas.
- Cook on medium heat until stew starts to boil. Reduce heat to low, add peas and continue cooking until vegetables and beef are tender.
- Serve over smoked rice and top with shredded cheese, crispy bacon pieces and fresh cilantro.
Have a fabulous evening!!