Scones have been on my list of things to try FOREVER. Finally, I got to experiment with them. Since I am a huge ‘biscuit lover’ I knew that I wanted to make savory instead of sweet. This morning was the perfect time to try. Because of the rain my husband is off of work and was sleeping in so as quietly as possible I made the little beauties for breakfast. They turned out beautifully and were very easy (I did mess up quite a few dishes though). The only change I will make next time is to add some ricotta or cottage cheese instead of parmesan for lightness and maybe a few more artichokes. My husband had the idea of having beans for dinner (yay-I love beans) so I have some large lima beans soaking. These scones will be great with those.
You will need:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 stick butter, cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts, chopped and drained
- 1/3 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced small
- 2 slices crispy crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder and salt on large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and use pastry blender until mixture resembles small crumbs.
- Chop the jalapeno and microwave briefly to soften (about 40 seconds)
- Chop the artichokes and red pepper and pat with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Cook the bacon until crispy and crumble.
- Add the artichokes, red pepper, jalapeno, bacon and parmesan to flour mixture. Stir well.
- Whisk milk and egg in small mixing bowl.
- Add to flour mixture and use hands to blend and form a ball.
- Sprinkle some flour on wax paper and press ball to 3/4″-1″ thick circle.
- Cut into pie shapes and place onto greased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with egg white.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Have A Wonderful Day!!