Yesterday afternoon I made this soup while listening to Benny Goodman and Billie Holiday on the Big Bang/Swing satellite music channel. Something about that kind of music just puts me in a good mood.
Originally I had planned on cooking pork chops but just plain didn’t feel like it so I got them started in a brine and will prepare them today.
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup crema (milk, half and half or heavy cream)
- ½ cup shredded cheese (I used Colby-jack)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons white onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and Pepper
Peel and cube potatoes. Cut florets from broccoli. Boil potatoes, onion and garlic in broth until potatoes are tender. In separate shallow pan cook broccoli in small amount of water on low until tender. Drain broccoli and set aside. With a whisk, mash the potatoes but leave them a little chunky. In small bowl mix flour, salt, pepper, coriander, cayenne and milk. Stir until smooth. Add to potatoes. Add crema and cheese. Stir until thickened. Add the broccoli and stir gently. When serving top with green onions, a little more cheese and crumbled bacon.
You Can Never Have Too Much Happy