‘Cooking is love made visible’
Hope everyone had a great weekend. We had a busy one. I took care of a few things around the house while my husband helped out with a fish fry at the local VFW. We got a little fishing time in on Sunday and even though Maggie kept chasing my bobber we did get a few nibbles. Thankfully the rabbits have not tampered in our garden anymore but we still need to build some sort of deterrent system. The dogs just chase them briefly and give up.
Even though I had a lot on my plate this weekend I still found time to cook. 🙂 My husband asked if I would make steak. That was fine with me because we have been having fish ALOT….and we have been having potatoes ALOT. Wanted something different.
Lately there has been an incredible amount of cheese in our house, no problem there. Too much cheese-said no one ever. The last time I went grocery shopping I bought at least three new varieties to try as well as a large container of marinated mozzarella balls. They melt so nicely over pizza so I wanted to experiment. My sis had given us some homegrown zucchini so the thought of something warm and cheesy came to mind. I had tomatoes, fresh basil, jalapeno and the marinated mozzarella balls so I decided to make a caprese of sorts, incorporate the zucchini, bake it and serve it over butter toasted french bread as a crostini. It was absolutely wonderful. Next time I will try roasting the tomatoes and jalapeno to add even more flavor 🙂
What You Need:
- 2 cups zucchini, spiraled then chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup (about 15) marinated mozzarella balls
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- French bread, sliced, buttered and toasted
- Use a mandolin to thinly spiral the zucchini (I suppose a grater would work as well) then cut into even smaller pieces.
- Dice the tomato, jalapeno and fresh basil
- Mix the vegetables and spices together in shallow baking dish (I used a 10 inch)
- Top with the mozzarella balls
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes
- Remove from oven, butter the bread and toast
Have a great day!